Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I chose Levon!


So, I have debated lately about listening to the new Robbie Robertson record. As a lover of "the Band" and all things related, I am curious about how his first album in Ten years sounds. Has he returned to form, or is he still using his name to push esoteric tunes on former fans. I want to think its a return, I want to root for him. Problem is, we are divorced...

You see, after doing a bit of research on "the Band," and reading (mostly second hand) accounts of their breakup, I think any self respecting music fan needs to take a side. Me, I'll chose Levon Helm. As the Drummer and requisite style king of the band, I really think Levon is what makes the band so timeless. A true american singing about our struggles and triumphs, all while playing wicked drums. Wait, Levon is a Canadian! even cooler. I think he is my favorite Canadian actually, but thats another argument (sorry arcade fire, but your actually led by a Texan anyway).

Well, it seems old Levon and the remaining members of the Band were not quite ready to breakup, and if you listen to Levon sounds like they didn't even receive residuals from the filming of "the Last Waltz," the excellent movie chronicling their last show at winterland.

After the breakup, Levon recorded some of my favorite material and created some great records with assorted all star bands. All the while, Robbie Robertson, per a recent rolling stone article, admits to sharing a house with Martin Scorsese with the blinds drawn, doing tons of drugs, and basically being a skinny introvert.


Most recently, Levon has made two of my favorite albums of the last ten years. Firstthe excellent "Dirt Farmer," which won a grammy, and most recently "Electric Dirt," which features among others a kick ass version of the Deads Tennessee Jed. As far as superstar friends whocollaborate, they both got 'em. For his most recent release, Robertson got none other than Eric Clapton to guest on a number of tracks (unfortunately this is the uncool post drugs tears in heaven clapton though). Helm meanwhile has an excellent touring band consisting of the always cool Larry Campbell on lead guitar and the occasional Phil Leash sighting to boot. Advantage Helm.

Couple quick Helm stories finish it off for me- While at the Independent for Levons ramble last year, I was lucky enough to get to see first Lesh jump in for a few songs, and then Jim James of My Morning Jacket guest to close the show for about five songs. While getting a beer I bumped into James at the bar. Not one to star-fuck, I told James I was a fan and thanks for the music. He proceeded to tell me about his love of Helm and how he keeps the spirit of music alive for many.

My favorite Levon story comes from my friend Nathan though, who took his Wife to the ramble at Levons place in Woodstock NY. Well, turns out Nathan is in a great band called Walkin In Sunlight (more about them later). Upon mentioning this to Levon an immediate invitation to record at his place in Woodstock was offered. Now of course Levons trying to make money, but man, thats so cool. A few greenlike cigarettes were passed (though no one inhaled), and the story gets better and better though its not mine to tell.

So, in closing - one of my favorite bands forced me to make a difficult choice. Robbie, take your new album and shove it, I've chosen Levon.

No comments: